Residential Services – FAQ’s

How do I obtain admission to Fronditha’s Residential Care Services?

To obtain admission to Fronditha’s residential care services you must first be assessed by the Aged Care Assessment Service. This service determines your eligibility and level of care you may require.
For information on how to contact Aged Care Assessment Services go to the My Aged Care website
Once you have been assessed as requiring residential care of community care packages you must apply to the relevant person at Fronditha Care.

How long do I wait before I am admitted to a residential care facility?

All of Fronditha Care’s residential and community support services have long waiting lists. It is not possible to ascertain how long an applicant may have to wait before they are admitted. Allocation of vacant beds or other services are done on a needs basis after assessment by Fronditha Care.

What are the fees payable for residential care services?

The fees payable by elders for residential care services is set by Commonwealth government legislation and regulations. The exact amount an elder is required to pay is determined after assessment of their level of income and assets, by Centrelink.
The components of fees are:

  1. Daily fees which generally amount to 85% of the aged pension. This covers living costs.
  2. An income tested fee which applies in circumstances where the elder residents income is greater than the aged care pension.
  3. Care Contribution Fee is an additional contribution towards the cost of care that some residents may be required to pay. This will be determined by Centrelink.
  4. Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD). This is for your accommodation in the home. The RAD prices is set by the home. Centrelink will determine if you are required to pay this. It is determined based on an assessment of your income and assets.

For more information on fees go to the My Aged Care website-

What is the Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD)?

A: The Commonwealth government under the Living Longer Better legislation, (Aged Care Act) requires that all eligible residents entering residential care will be required to pay a Refundable Accommodation Deposit. This is for your accommodation costs.

A Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) is an amount arranged between the resident and Fronditha Care. The RAD amount for each facility may vary and is advertised on the Fronditha Care website and the Government My Aged Care website ( or on 1800 200 422). It is recommended that each client has a Centrelink Income and Assets assessment completed.

The following criteria are used to determine if you will pay a Refundable Accommodation Deposit.

-Residents paying a RAD must be left with a minimum of 2.5 times the annual pension, as at September 2015, this was $46,000 for a single and $92,000 for a couple.

Your home is not included in the asset figure if:

  • Your spouse or a dependent child is still living in it;
  • A carer has been living there and is eligible to receive Centrelink means tested pension;
  • A close relative (e.g. sibling) has been living there for at least five years and are receiving a Centrelink means tested pension.

Residents’ may not be required to sell their home to pay a RAD. You can choose to pay from:

  • Other assets or income; OR
  • Borrowing against the home; OR
  • Income from renting; OR
  • Combination of any of the above.

Aged Care Information Line 1800 200 422. Call this number is you wish to clarify any of the matters raised in relation to fees and charges. This is an independent helpline provided by the Commonwealth government.

Fronditha Care strongly encourages residents and their families to seek independent financial advice.

How do I pay the Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD)?

A: You can choose to pay RAD either in full as a lump sum or a regular monthly amount, called a Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP), or combined of both (a RAD & DAP).

The Daily Accommodation Payment is not a payment by instalment. It is not refundable, and will involve a monthly interest charge against the principal amount. the interest rate charge is determined by the Department of Human Services- called the maximum permissible interest rate (MPIR).

Each resident has 28 days after admission to inform the facility on which option they intend to pay the RAD.

To help you understand how the different payment methods work we have provided a number of examples.

Independent Living Units – FAQ’s

Who is responsible for the garden?

Fronditha will be responsible for the maintenance of common garden areas. Tenants will be responsible for the garden within their own units.

Who is responsible for the building maintenance?

Major maintenance will be the responsibility of Fronditha Care except when tenants have been responsible for any damage. Changing of light globes etc is the tenant’s responsibility.

Who is responsible for payment of services?

Tenants are responsible for electricity, water, telephone and gas payments.

This also includes connection and disconnection fees.

Who pays for insurance?

Household insurance is the responsibility of the Tenant

Are pets allowed?

Fronditha Care allows only one small pet e.g. Bird, fish, or cat –no dogs etc. Tenants must comply with all regulations related to the care of animals.