The Commonwealth government under the Living Longer Better legislation, (Aged Care Act) requires that all eligible residents entering residential care pay a Refundable Accommodation Deposit. This is for your accommodation costs.
A Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) is an amount arranged between the resident and Fronditha Care. The RAD amount for each facility may vary and is advertised on the Fronditha Care website and the Government My Aged Care website (www.myagedcare.gov.au or on 1800 200 422). It is recommended that each client has a Centrelink Income and Assets assessment completed.
The following criteria are used to determine if you will pay a Refundable Accommodation Deposit.
Your home is not included in the asset figure if:
- Your spouse or a dependent child is still living in it;
- A carer has been living there and is eligible to receive Centrelink means tested pension;
- A close relative (e.g. sibling) has been living there for at least five years and are receiving a Centrelink means tested pension.
Residents’ may not be required to sell their home to pay a RAD. You can choose to pay from:
- Other assets or income; OR
- Borrowing against the home; OR
- Income from renting; OR
- Combination of any of the above.
Aged Care Information Line 1800 200 422. Call this number is you wish to clarify any of the matters raised in relation to fees and charges. This is an independent helpline provided by the Commonwealth government. Fronditha Care strongly encourages residents and their families to seek independent financial advice.